My Blog List

Friday, July 25, 2014

More fighting with the longarm!




Oh this longarm is going to be the death of me!

I loaded my second quilt onto my longarm 
that I have had for almost4 years and have only done ONE quilt on!  I fight and I fight and
I cuss out this longarm constantly, its so frustrating!

Its a newer model Tin Lizzie 18.  Since I am waiting 
once again for more parts to make the regulated stitch work, I am stuck in manual stitching mode which is fine for loopy loops and stipple and meander...but I cant get the tension right...



So here I was sewing right along thinking it looks great....ON THE TOP...when I advanced the roller,
I was faced with multiple loops and eyelashes (which I think we all know what that looks like!) !!  I ripped out this quilt TWICE!  I detest ripping...I think I have mentioned that before...anyways, I take it one day and one hour at a time.  I will get all 30 of my quilt tops quilted eventually....thats the plan anyways!



And this is why piecing is my favorite part of quilting!  If only I were rich, I could afford to send every last one of my quilt tops to a longarmer...ahhhh well, live and learn!!

Anyone out there have a Tin Lizzie who
has any suggestions for me?


7 comments:

  1. Can't help you with the longarm dilemma BUT I did want to congratulate you (all be it late) on your new grandbaby!
    I've been hibernating from my blog for quite some time now, but I'm slowly coming back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Tin Lizzie 18 (ESP). I love it. I'm a member of the Tin Lizzie support group too (on Yahoo). I get the emails. They are very helpful. There is also a youtube video (many) that helped me with tension. There was one in particular. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM Load up the machine with some muslin and put a light thread in the top and a dark thread in the bottom and do what he says. It's worked every time. I make it a habit now of checking my bobbin tension everytime I change it. See if you can find the group on Yahoo and sign up for it. You won't regret it! ... Mike (The Amateur Quilter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice from Mike (above comment!) LOVE your loops!!! You're a natural once you get that tension issue worked out it will be a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. join the Tin Lizzie Longarm group on Yahoo. The moderator, Marge, is *FANTASTIC* about being able to help. She's incredibly knowledgeable. Others in the group are equally as generous with their advice.

    The URL to join is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TinLizzieLongarm/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you are having problems. I know what that is like. It made me not want to quilt. Now that I have my upgrade it is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the voyager 17 like Michele, and loops either mean that your top thread is too loose or the bottom too tight (I think) is the sandwich too tight or too close to the bed of the machine? have you changed the needle? changed thread? changed bobbin?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I can't help you, but I am taking notes as to how my longarm blogger friends are doing with their machines. I'm shopping soon for a machine, and I'm guessing yours will not be on my list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete