My Blog List

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fine things...Aunt Georgia #1


A coworker and friend of mine recently lost her 
Great Aunt.  Her name was Aunt Georgia, she was a wonderful woman and she liked to sew!

Sounds like someone who I would have just loved also!

When my friend went down for her funeral she came home with some fine things that belonged to her Aunt Georgia
which included some hand pieced quilt blocks! 
She asked if I would make them into quilts for a couple of her loved ones, of course!  So, this is the first quilt I got completed
for her..its for Aunt Georgias newest Great Grandson Jax.  
He was born in August.

The center block was hand stitched by Georgia...I used fusible web to attach it to some coordinating fabric and then did some hand stitching on it with DMC floss..including
the babys name and birth date.  


Koi kept me company while I hand sewed it down.  
Shes such a sweet kitty!



The completed center of the quilt....


And the finished product!  
My coworker Laurie picked out all of the 
fabrics, she has a great eye for color...I just love it and so did she....I was just so happy to do something and preserve these
beautiful blocks made by a beautiful lady!


The best part of all is that when Jaxs mom received the quilt she was so surprised and cried, she thought that her Aunt Georgia had made it for her! We explained that the center WAS made by her and thats why we finished it in a 
quilt for her new sweet baby!!

Such a fun project!  Smiles all around!!

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful gift made from Aunt Georgia's block!
    Your heart felt work and sentiment will surely be treasured by the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great heirloom for the family. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete